Saturday, June 27, 2015

Naturebox Sampler Unboxing...

So I must be some kind of addict for boxes.  I have my eye on a few, even subscribe to some of their emails and not to the box itself.  Not too long ago I got an email from Naturebox about their Big Island Pineapple and Sriracha Roasted Cashews.  



These two pictures....  that's all it took to have me running over to the Naturebox website and signing up.  In my defense my hubby and I love snacking on nuts and fruit so this box is a good fit for both of us.

So after very little contemplation I signed up for the $2 sample box that they offer.  My thoughts were if the box was horrible then I'll cancel and only be out of the $2 shipping for the samples.  I'm ok with that.


So here is a look into what I got for my $2 and if I think it is worth the $19.95 a month for these snacks. (It's cheaper if you sign up for multiple months)




I would like to say that there is no controlling my husband when it comes to delicious snacks... so, this box was opened before I even got my hands on it!  He sent me a text while I was at work about Nom Noms!!


I like Naturebox's thoughtful packaging. Each snack pouch was angled in the box so that you could view it better.  All around nice presentation. But really, who buys a snack box for the presentation?

First let's talk about the full size product Naturebox sent:

Dark Cocoa Nom Noms: 5 cookies per container, 100 calories each, 5 g fat, 12g carbs, 1g fiber, 2g protein


These are super tasty.  Like I said earlier, my hubby got into these right away and despite his hatred of all things containing any coconut he still loved these.  They are dense, chewy, just the right bite of dark chocolate, and satisfying without being too sweet. 

I am disappointed in the size of the pouch.  This is a full size sample that was sent and there were only 5 cookies in the package.  They are small cookies.  Naturebox claims that a serving size is 1 cookie but I found that 2 is when you are truly satisfied.  I would have been happier if Naturebox put 8 cookies in a pouch or made the cookie itself bigger.  So while the flavor, texture, and freshness were a win for me the value of this pouch was not.


Next up are the 1oz sample pouches.

Let's start with the scariest flavor in my mind:  Sweet Blueberry Almonds: 1oz pouch, 170 calories, 13g fat, 9g carbs, 3g fiber, 6g protein




My first reaction to these was Ewwww!  I mean blueberry flavored almonds?!? Aren't plain almonds enough? You have to toss fake flavor on them and ruin them? Then I tried them...

Boy was I wrong. These are delicious. These are evil. These have the potential to take over the planet. (ok now I'm being dramatic)  

Still. They are good. Super fresh, not to hard, the right amount of roasting, great crunch, not too sweet, the blueberry is not overpowering, and the blueberry tastes natural not fake! I was impressed. I felt as though I was munching on blueberry pie and I can see this little snack taking place of many many desert cravings in the future. 

The website says that the full size is 4 servings so that would be 4 oz. This also seems a bit on the small side but these are really good and you don't need many to be satisfied.  


Next up are the Masa Crisps: 1 oz pouch, 150 calories, 8g fat, 18g carbs, 3g fiber, 3g protein 




Just a little FYI, my husband and I frequent the local bulk foods stores and we are quite familiar with this product. It is one of our favorite snacks!  These, however, are super fresh and more flavorful than the version we get at the store so we were both quite happy with this product.

The full size is listed as 4.5 oz and that is 4.5 servings.  This tastes just like corn chips but a little healthier because of the flax seeds. Honestly, while they were delicious I don't think I would ever get these from Naturebox.  There are just too many products like this at your local grocers to make it worth the purchase (including actual corn chips with flax seed in them)


 Another item I was a bit leery about were the Jalapeno Cashews: 1oz pouch, 170 calories,13g fat, 10g carbs, 1g fiber, 5g protein 




I like spicy things but it's not my favorite thing to snack on.  So I was a bit wary about these nuts.  I also knew that these would be right up my husbands alley.  Again flavored coatings on nuts makes me a bit nervous, but Naturebox proved me wrong once more.

These are great. I managed to snack on 3 cashews before they were whisked away by my husband and devoured.  Between bites he managed to give me the nod of approval and a muffled Mmmmm mmmm.  These are fresh, not too spicy for those who live in fear of the heat, not too oily like other cashews I've had in the past, and just the right amount of crunch.  

The full size bag is listed as 4 oz. For cashews I think this is a good deal.


I also received Cranberry Medley: 1oz pouch, 140 calories, 0g fat, 35g carbs, 3g fiber, 0g protein





I have to admit this one confused me a little.  I opened it thinking it was just dried cranberries and took a bite.  The flavor was not totally that of cranberries...

Then I read the label. Oh... Oh! It's Cranberries that are flavored with pomegranate and acai berries with blueberries in the mix.  Except... nope, not a single blueberry in the package.  Maybe this is supposed to be how it looks?  To the Naturebox website!!!


Hmmm.... nope. Mine does not look like that.  I guess I got a defective batch or something.  

Despite the lack of blueberries I really enjoyed the cranberry mix. It's different, a side step from the standard craisins that you can find everywhere.  These aren't as bitter, the cranberries themselves are larger and more plump, in truth they are beautiful as well as delicious. I almost hope that they don't come with the blueberries because I like them as is and would bake with these. Cookies, biscotti, cake, oatmeal, you name it these will be good in it!

This was also gobbled up by my husband and given the nod of approval. 

All in all I am really happy with my Naturebox Sampler.  I will have to see if the value is there for the full size packages when they actually come, until then I have really high hopes for this box. 

If I end up liking the full size I intend on subscribing for 6 months so that I can save a bit of money (the price drops to $16.95 so I'll be saving $3 a month with this plan).

Naturebox also offers a package for 1 year with a price of $15.95 a box. This is the best value and prices each bag at $3.19.  



Also offered by Naturebox is complete control over your subscription. You can upgrade at any time. You can skip a month if you don't want it. You can order early. You can set it up for bi-weekly, monthly, bi-monthly, or tri-monthly deliveries. If you have a craving now you can press order now and they will send out your box right away. You can have a Que of items in your "Pantry" and they will pull your next box orders out of your Que. You can organize and rearrange your Que. You can select surprise snack and they will select your snacks for you based on your flavor profile. You can add-on deluxe products to be sent with your box. You can add extra snack bags to your box for $3 a bag.

Let's just say there are plenty of options and Naturebox lets you have control of every one if you want. Or you can be surprised.  

What do you all think of Naturebox?  Tempted at all?  What are your favorite healthy snacks?  (I swear one day someone will answer my questions!  LOL)


Peace and be kind to thyselves!

~Jeanette


No comments:

Post a Comment